01 May 2013

Big City Mountaineers: Southern Fried Edition

At the summit of 14,508ft. (4,422m) Mount Whitney on April 28th, 2013.
I just wanted to take a second and again thank everyone who helped contribute to my Backpacker Magazine and Summit for Someone climb of Mount Whitney for Big City Mountaineers. Team 6 absolutely crushed! The trip was amazing and full of memories and experiences that will be with me for a lifetime. It also has served as the starting point of a new chapter in my life.

After speaking with BCM Executive Director Lisa Mattis, I am taking the next step and planning to join a BCM group of Miami-based teens this summer on a backpacking trip through Yosemite as part of their week long mentoring expedition. This will be a great chance for me to learn the curriculum and inner-workings of BCM so that I can bring that knowledge and message back home and start the groundwork of helping to establish Atlanta as one of the next BCM hub cities within the next 2-3 years.

To make that happen, I will be looking to recruit 20-25 people from around the Southeast who are interested in signing up for a Summit for Someone climb. The money raised by those climbers will be a huge part of funding this new project. Additionally, I will be working to establish connections with local individuals and businesses who would be willing to help contribute services and/or financial support to the establishment of an Atlanta-based BCM operation. This will include potential activities and events in which the youth would participate (ie. day hikes, overnight camping trips, rock climbing trips, paddling trips, etc.).

I am extremely excited to be a part of this project. It's going to take a lot of hard work, time and patience, but accomplishing something great is rarely easy. If you or someone you know is interested in becoming a Summit for Someone climber, or if you know anyone who would be willing to contribute in some other way, please don't hesitate to contact me via email. You can also message me on Facebook  or Twitter!


No comments:

Post a Comment